Neil Bonner works in the information technology field as program manager for applications development at the Transportation Security Administration. His focus is on mobile, Rapid Applications Development, Social Media and collaboration platforms.
Working with senior leadership and other thought leaders, he manages a team of federal employees and contractor staff to develop applications and collaboration platforms for internal staff and external citizen engagement.
Neil’s approach is organizational and cultural transformation through small agile teams, rapid delivery of capabilities, mission and customer focus, and leadership by example.
In 2011 he was recognized by Federal Computer Week as a “Federal 100 Award Winner” for his work with the “MyTSA” iPhone app. Before coming to TSA, from 1996 – 2003, he was the owner and President of Michelangelo.com, Inc. an interactive web design and development firm. You can view Neil’s public resume on LinkedIn.
Volunteer & Community Service
- Committee Vice-Chairman of Finance for Boy Scouts of America, Troop 1970 of Reston, Virginia (2005 – 2012).
- Board of Directors (10 years) and past President of the Herndon Optimists Youth Baseball League in Herndon, Virginia.
Honors & Awards
- Federal 100 Award Winner, 2011
- “MyTSA” Best Government Mobile App – 9th Annual ACT-IAC Excellence.gov Awards, 2011
- TSA recognized as Top 15 Government IT Innovators during Information Week 500 Conference, 2011
- TSA Team Award – MyTSA iPhone & mobile web application team, 2010
- Boy Scouts of America – Order of the Arrow, 2010 (Brotherhood 2012)
- Honorable Mention, Ingenuity and Innovation Award for Superior Mission Achievement – DHS Chief Financial Officer, 2009
- TSA Team Award – IdeaFactory Program Management & Technology Team, 2009
- Secretary’s Award for Team DHS Excellence – TSA Security Blog Team, 2008
- TSA Team Award – Evolution of Security Blog, 2008
- Secretary’s Award for Team DHS Excellence – TSA IdeaFactory Innovation Team, 2007
- TSA Team Award – for exemplary demonstration of innovation, employee empowerment and community development, 2007
- Town of Herndon, Virginia – Certificate of Recognition to Commissioner Neil Bonner, 2006
Speaking engagements, panel discussions, presentations, etc.
- APIs – Making Mobile Development Easier, FOSE, Washington, DC, May 2013
- TSA’s RESTful APIs, DC Web API User Group Meetup, Washington, DC, May 2013
- Mobile App Lifecycle, HowTo.gov webinar, November 2012
- Revitalizing Legacy Systems to Accommodate Web Services, Mobile Government Conference, Washington, DC, October 2012
- Native vs. Web: Enterprise & Government Development, MoDevDC Meetup, Arlington, VA, July 2012
- Mobile Government in Action (live demo of “My TSA”), Government IT Leadership Forum, Washington, DC, May 2012
- Voyage Ahead: Multi-Dimensional Mobility, NASCIO 2012 Midyear Conference, Baltimore, MD, May 2012
- Mobile Applications: Impacts on Agency Operations, Government Executive webinar, August 2011